Wednesday 4 June 2014

new rooms

My ten year old and very nearly 8 year old have shared a bedroom for 6 years. They cannot remember not waking up together.
We had new bedrooms built and the eldest elected to move out as long as she got a mirror and a dressing table.
She chose the paint colour and curtains/ bedding. Her dad has flexed his muscles and built flat pack furniture. The walls might be pinky peach but the air was blue! I washed the bedding and moved toys, books and clothes in.
We gave her and her sister some time, we discovered that the eldest tells the youngest stories about a dragon which is hung from their lampshade, the rainbow fish that swings beside it is the villain of the piece. They spent an evening where i wasn't allowed to tell them off for giggling or talking after lights out. I wasn't looking forward to the change - its all too far away from them being babies although i was looking forward to them not being able to argue each and every morning. I was surprised they weren't emotional.

Then I tool the eldest to Dunhelm to buy a few last things and told her it was the last evening. She burst into tears."I don't wanna leave her!!!!!" 
"ok, well stay in the same room."
"I wanna go in my new rooom!!!"
"Its understandable, you've been together for a long, long time"
"was I excited when she was moving in ?"
"oh yes , very excited!"
"waaaaaahhhhh! I don't want to leave her!" and so on.

Anyway, two nights later, she decides tonight is the night and kisses her sister and goes to her new room.
at 10.45 after several get ups and fidgets, she comes downstairs to complain she cannot sleep. I give her ultimatum: go to new bed and sleep or take her teddy and get in the top bunk for a sleepover with her sister. She opts for the latter and is asleep once her head hits the pillow. In the morning, the younger sets out to find her and finally discovers her in the top bunk. The next night is a similar story.
Finally the third night, she is very tired. After an hour, everything goes quiet. When I check on her, she is asleep in her new room. My big girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment